Coconut Yam Soup
2018 Winter 5 Day Detox
Makes enough for 3 lunches
• 2 large or 3 small garnet yams, peeled and cut into chunks
• 1 small yellow onion, diced
• 5 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
• 2 C vegetable or chicken broth
• 1 (14-oz) can full-fat coconut milk
• 1 TB wheat-free tamari
• 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place yams or sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until soft, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium high heat and sauté garlic and onions in olive oil until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Place all ingredients in a large blender and turn on low. Gradually blend until smooth, adding water by the TB if you need more liquid.
- To reheat, place in pot and warm slowly over medium-low heat, stirring until warmed through.
Note: It’s very important to place a towel between the blender and the lid if the sweet potatoes are still hot to prevent the lid blowing off when blending. Heat expands in blenders and can create so much pressure that the lid can come off and spray hot soup all over you and your kitchen.